Saturday 14 December 2013

Re: Torpor‏ Brian Jones 12/9/13

I currently (1900) have an Anna's perched on my feeder right next to my 75w work light. He has been there over an hour. At times he moves an sits on the light guard.  Will be watching to see what he does throughout the evening.

Several people have asked how the hummer is doing.  11:00 pm now - seems so vulnerable with the light on.    Not a neighborhood with owls - up high enough away from cats.  Looks like a long night  :)
Gayle

Ours spent the night at the feeder in torpor upside down from a perch right next to the light. This is as of 0800 this morning.  Brian
8:30 and still upside down.  I had read that arousing from the torpor involves muscle contractions.  So far, hummer perfectly still.  Over the past several days by 7:00 am I would hang out the fresh feeders and turn on the lights. On two different mornings a hummer would be right there, drinking from the feeder even while I was getting it positioned, and on the others, arriving fairly quickly after the feeders were available.  I can't be sure if this is that same individual.  Sure do hope he wakes up! 
g

Temps are up today...29 here now. Just put my second (unheated) feeder out as a 2nd hummer showed up. It won't go to the heated feeder where the hummer in torpor continues hanging. B

I now have a 2nd one feeding from the port where the 1st one continues in torpor... sits on the same perch. B

Who is a torpor authority...John?  Is there a "death grip" phenomenon associated with it? I'm still seeing no body movements here. B

The nature of bird legs is the flexors can grip via levers and gravity.

My understanding of hummingbirds is they enter  torpor ( hypothermia) a couple time a night to conserve energy.

Citations later.




Fredrick R. Sears

No comments:

Post a Comment