Sunday 16 February 2014

Birding Drayton Harbor, Pelagic Cormorant rescued‏ Eric Ellingson 12/25/13

A very calm and overcast day on the harbor.  Good day for kayaking with my camera.
 
Highlights for the day were 50 Black Turnstones, 20 Sanderling with 5 Dunlin mixed in, and about 10 Long-tailed Ducks.
 
Along the rock breakwater of Blaine Harbor a Pelagic Cormorant was tangled in some fishing line. Got up the courage to exit my kayak and then cut the line. Was wondering if I’d ever use the knife I carry on my PFD. Glad I had it. Some of the line was still around it but it flew off easily enough so hoping for the best.
 
 
Monday at Birch Bay State Park: lots of Kinglets, many feeding on the ground, and 7 Varied Thrush together in one area with more around the park.
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Birding
 

No comments:

Post a Comment