Sunday 15 September 2013

Flycatcher ID‏ Eric Ellingson 8/20/13

I’m not seeing many Flycatchers that are supposed to be in the area other than Pacific-slope in my book.
The black dot in front of the eye made me consider the Dusky.
Any ideas one way or another. Not a great shot for detail.
Found this guy at Blaine Marine Park.

Thanks.

PS: Has anyone visited Malheur in Oregon? Contact me privately if you’ve suggestions/ideas. Going in late September.








Eric and Whatcom Birders,



I’m pretty sure this is a Willow Flycatcher. Unlike most Empids, Willow Flycatchers have a very inconspicuous eyering.



Habitat is also a key feature. Hammond’s and Pacific-slope Flycatchers, the other 2 Empids that breed in our area, are forest birds that wouldn’t be caught dead in a place like Blaine Marine Park. Willow Flycatchers, on the other hand, will breed happily in stands of willows or other shrubs that are only 5 to 10 feet tall. I’ve definitely recorded this species in summer near the base of Marine Drive in Blaine, although I’m not sure if they breed there.



(Dusky Flycatcher is very rare west of the Cascades.)



Wayne C. Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment