Sunday 15 September 2013

An alternative to Hawks and tags‏ Lila Emmer 7-25-13

My (indoor) cat alerted me to a house sparrow, perched in my neighbor’s Banks roses and in its beak – holding what I assume is a large, green Cicada, by the tail, and just swinging it around as if the sparrow didn’t know what to do now.
The Cicada was obviously thrashing around in mid-air and to put it down could result in loss of a green treasure………
What to do……………, what to do………………?
Lila Emmer
Utah

Lila, et al,
Last November Bob and I were in Honduras doing a water project with some of our church members. I happened to look out the window of the small building we were doing an education class in and saw a bird jump straight up in the air. Fortunately I had my binoculars with me and saw what looked like a large, sparrow -sized wren attacking something on the ground and that something was attacking back. It turned out to be a sizeable praying mantis. After about three or four jabs at the mantis, the wren was able to grab it and whack it around enough to subdue it.
Cindy Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment